What Parents Can Do
3 - Take action
Things you can do:
- Provide frequent opportunities to care, share and help each other;
- Celebrate your child's progress in developing social and emotional skills;
- Model the behaviors you want your child to adopt;
- Read and discuss stories that help your child understand how people deal with common issues or resolve conflicts.
In partnership with your school
- Serve on the Character Education committee or district-level advisory board;
- Provide input on the development of your school's code of student conduct;
- Participate in forums to address issues on character education;
- Volunteer to participate in your child's service-learning activities.
In partnership with your local PTA/PTO
- Join or establish a PTA/PTO character education committee;
- Advocate for inclusion of character education in your child's school;
- Share success stories. What positive habits, attitudes and behaviors have you observed your child develop?